Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Traffic

FMC-that's "fuck my commute"

I feel a need to define it, since it took me FOREVER to figure out what FML means. My work is 10.3 miles from my home. It is an 18 minute drive if you go the speed limit. That even holds true for my morning commute.

However, when I drive home, its a whole different ballgame. If I take the freeway, without a carpool buddy, its at least 30 minutes, but more often, its 45 minutes. There is some sort of issue before the Interstate Bridge. Every fucking person in a car has to be on I-5 North at the same time. Funny enough, when you get on the bridge, 75% of the cars disappear. No, they don't exit at Hayden Island, they just disappear off the bridge like they were in the Bermuda Triangle. I get really irritated by the whole "commute time warp" shit.

Today was the absolute best...a single car accident, on the Northbound Interstate Bridge. When I started my commute, it was backed up to the Freemont Bridge. When I tried to get on I-5 at Marine Drive, the back up was all the way to the Terwilliger Curves. Needless to say, the single car, blocked a single lane and after an 70 minutes on the way home, the traffic cleared right after that car and it took me another 5 minutes to get to my door.

It got me to thinking...WHY DO I DO THIS TO MYSELF?!!

I could take a Van Pool for $496.54 per month, divided by 5 to 7 people.
I could ride my bike and double my commute time.
I could take public transportation and double my commute time.
I could get a job in Vancouver, it's not like they want my kind in PDX anyway.

sigh...I HATE working across the River. It would be great if my office would open a Vancouver location.

No comments:

Post a Comment